SKATEBOARD Grip Tape
THE PURPOSE OF A SKATEBOARD GRIP TAPE
- The sandpaper-like layer that sits on top of the skateboard. (Normally Black)
- One sheet is all you need to cover your board.
- Keeps your shoes gripped to the deck.
INSTALLING THE SKATEBOARD GRIP TAPE
1. PREPARE THE BOARD
- Set your skateboard on a flat, clean work surface.
- Peeling off the old tape.
- Using a hair dryer can help.
- Pull the tape slowly and carefully away from the deck.
- Clean your skateboard completely.
2. TAPING THE BOARD
- Center the griptape over your skateboard deck.
- Let the grip tape sag a little in the middle so the center will adhere first.
- Once the center is adhered, carefully adhere the edges from the center out.
- Smooth out any small bubbles by pressing
- Pushing in the direction that you are lining the tape.
3. SCRAPE THE SIDES
- Use a skate tool, metal file or the metal shaft of a screwdriver to scrape around the edges of the skateboard deck.
- Rub hard until the grains are worn off.
- Leaving a white outline on the grip tape that outlines the edges of the board.
- Use a cutter to cut away the excess grip tape.
- Hold a razor blade at a 45-degree angle
- Cut along the sides of the deck, and around the nose and tail of the board.
- Follow the white outline and run the blade around the edge of the skateboard deck to remove the extra grip tape.
4. FLATTEN OUT AIR BUBBLES
- Inspect the board for small air bubbles.
- Use a cutter to make small incisions into the grip tape.
- Release any bulging air bubbles.
- Smooth over the incision.
6. POKE HOLES
- Use a screwdriver to poke holes through the grip tape where the skateboard trucks will be mounted.